Friday, March 18, 2011

An Awfully Big Adventure

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

It's official... I'm going to Prague!
Look at it!  It's so.... Czech!
I just found out on Monday morning that I've been placed at a British international school in Prague.  The more I've looked at the school's website, the more excited I've become.  And trust me, I've spent, like, two hours per day since Monday reading, and re-reading, that website!

I emailed the head of the senior school and he just got back to me this morning - midnight here, but 8am there.  He's let me know who my supporting teacher is for the time I'll be there, and now I've just got to email both of them back.  They seem quite friendly, but truth be told, I have no idea if I should be referring to them by their first names or their last names.  So, for now, I'm just calling them Mr. so-and-so, just to be safe.  They're British, after all.  That makes them fancier than me, now, doesn't it?

I've also been looking at furnished apartments in Prague.  I don't know what my housing situation is going to be, but right now, some of the studio apartments I've found in downtown aren't terribly expensive, and are ridiculously beautiful.  I think I'll be okay living in those digs...  The only thing is, I have to figure out where the best location would be to get an apartment, 'cause the school is in the southeast end of Prague, and most of the apartments are more or less in the center of the city.  I suppose that's what I'm supposed to be getting help with from my supporting teacher and the head of the school.

Anyway, I'll be updating this as I go, 'cause I figure it's a good way to document my adventures.  And, of course, when I finally get to Prague, there'll be copious pictures and hopefully a few anecdotes about life there... though, who knows if I'll actually have time to write a lot, what with the fact that I'll be teaching while I'm there, not just being a tourist.  I'm excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment