Saturday, October 1, 2011

Time Flies...

This week marked my halfway point in student teaching. I only have 5 weeks left, 6.5 weeks left in Prague. That's crazy! The longer I'm here and the more I do, the more I like Prague. Especially after Thursday night's hockey game. I think that helped me to see the Prague people at their best, because nothing quite beats a great home-town crowd at a hockey game. I'm definitely going to another game before I leave.

I have a lot to do this weekend and yet again I'm being ridiculously lazy and haven't done anything all day so far except browse the internet and get dressed. Oh, and had some breakfast but it was beans, because I ran out of soy milk to have cereal. Which means that I also need to go shopping this weekend - preferably today - but, like I said, I'm being incredibly lazy. At least one of the things I did on the internet was find a video about the Conquest of England which I may use parts of for one of the lessons I have to plan this weekend! That almost counts as productivity.

This week both my year 7 History class and one of my year 8 History classes found out that I'm leaving in just over a month. They both asked why I couldn't stay, and seemed disappointed which made me feel good. When I told the year 7's that I was going home so I could get a job that pays me, they said, "Well, why can't they give you one here?" and I had to explain that there's enough teachers at the school, and they don't need another teacher! Then they got this idea to start a petition and a protest to keep me here. A couple of days later one of the year 7's had to take a test for History during lunch time and he told me after he handed it in to me that he "had to go, because I'm making the signs for the protest to keep you here." Hahaha!

The game on Thursday night was awesome because it was the first time I've done something other than just go home after school. Plus, I got to introduce Chris to the wonders of hockey, and he liked it. It's always good to get someone else to see the awesomeness that is hockey. The game wasn't the most exciting, but the atmosphere more than made up for it. That's why I just have to go back. Plus, I figure this game was a friendly one between the Rangers and Sparta, which meant very little big checks, and no fights. So, a real Czech game is bound to be more... hockey-like. :)

Also, at the game, I got a bunch of comments on my jersey. When we first got off the tram, I was met by a group of guys yelling "Yeah VANCOUVER!" and "KESLER!!" Then right after that, another group of guys ran up to us and walked with us, a few of them pining over the signed nature of my jersey, saying things like "I am SO JEALOUS! You met Ryan Kesler?!" And with that group I talked with a dude from White Rock who works at a hostel here in Prague. Too bad I didn't catch his name, but he was super friendly! Chris asked me if I was about to start a riot by wearing my jersey. A couple of other times people yelled out "KESLER!!!!" so that was fun. Turns out we sat right behind a row of Blackhawks fans, so I got to explain why I hated them to Chris. There were tons of other NHL fans, people wearing Av's jerseys, Bruins jerseys (eww), 'Hawks jerseys (eww again), and Oilers jerseys just to name a few. Then the majority of people were wearing Sparta jerseys (which I have to get one of, just so I can have a European jersey! And a Sparta one at that, because I am a default Sparta fan, even if they aren't the best.) There was also a sizable Rangers fan contingent, so that was cool.

Now that I've finished babbling about the game - though there is loads to talk about, but would be boring for anyone to read - I should probably go grocery shopping. At least then I could say I was semi-productive today. But, before I go, I'll leave you with two pictures:

Showing my Canucks spirit (as always) and my new-found Sparta spirit!
Tesla Arena the day before the game, complete with massive adverts!

No comments:

Post a Comment