Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The end of the beginning...

I can't believe that in exactly a week, I will be stepping on a plane and finally heading home. I can't believe that I have been in Prague for 12 weeks. I can't believe that I haven't been in the good ol' U.S. of A. since August 5. I can't believe that I'm almost done with my student teaching. I can't believe that I will get my teaching certificate when I get home.

It's CRAZY!

The beginning of this journey, oh so many months ago, was surreal. It wasn't until I actually stepped out of the plane in Prague (in the insane heat, which - little anecdote - I am so glad only lasted about 2 weeks) that I realized that I was actually doing my student teaching in Prague. I definitely remember being grumpy my first week in Prague. I just wanted to go home (there was some serious homesickness right then)! But when I first met my CT and the others in the Humanities department, I immediately felt welcomed and suddenly found myself looking forward to the start of school.

The students have been absolutely awesome. There's not a day that's gone by where I haven't found something hilarious or rewarding (it's always rewarding) or challenging or inspiring about them. When they say 'Miss, don't leave!' or 'Miss, we're going to miss you!' or 'Miss, you're the best teacher ever!' I just have to smile. I will remember these kids as my first students, the ones who didn't quite understand just how very much I was hardly keeping my head above water, trying to be a duck (you know, calm on the surface but paddling like mofo underneath!). It's been such a tough journey - it's still a tough journey (I'm still trying to finish my lesson planning for the week - and look what I'm doing instead... :).

Overall, I can't think of a better experience student teaching. No way would I have been afforded the opportunity to work with students from so many nationalities (Czech, Polish, German, Russian, Georgian, Danish, Canadian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Slovakian, Italian... the list could go on an on) or with so many first - second - and third languages. I swear, these are some of the most impressive students you'd ever meet. I definitely have the bug to work at international schools...

I feel like I gained an invaluable experience here in Prague. While I may not have fallen completely in love with the city, I most certainly enjoyed it as much as I could. Either way, this whole experience has reaffirmed my love of travelling (though maybe I'll take a break from it until next August...), and it's reaffirmed my love of teaching (as if that ever needed reaffirmation!). I don't think I could ever list all the things I've learned here, all the ways I've changed as a person and as a teacher.

It's going to be another adventure going back home and having some serious culture shock. What do you mean, I'll be able to understand all the signs and announcements and the cashiers in stores? What do you mean, I'll be able to smile at a stranger and not have them give me a death stare? Ha! I can't wait, though, to see my family and my friends and be back at band practice. And then, once I get used to A-mur-i-cah again, I'll start looking for a job. Thus starts a new chapter in my life!

I will post a couple more times here in this blog, since I still have a week left, haven't finished talking about Berlin, and have my Auntie Barb and Uncle Rob visiting this weekend (so excited for that!). There will be more photos, and probably a lot more sentimental thoughts as the week comes to an end. But in case I don't say it later, or to all of your faces, etc... thanks for checking up on me throughout my adventure and being so supportive. I couldn't have done it without you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment