Saturday, September 3, 2011

The First Week (of School)

Today two things happened: I found soy milk (finally!), and I actually felt okay with being in Prague. Those both were very good things, and it's about time. I know it's weird to put finding soy milk in the same "good" category as feeling okay with being where I am. But in my mind, they're pretty related. After all, it was on the journey back to my apartment after having gone grocery shopping that I looked out the window at Prague passing me by, and I thought, This is kind of cool. And then I smiled.

And, to top that off, I'm now talking to Brit, about to talk to Larly, and I can hear someone playing the violin in one of the apartments below me. Altogether, it's pretty wonderful.

Anyway, the first week of school is already over. Every day seemed pretty long, but by Friday I was like, "It can't be Friday already!" It's really interesting to be in a British school and watching how teachers here teach versus at home. I finally got to teach a lesson on Friday, and it looks like I'm basically taking over that class effective immediately. I'm definitely chomping on the bit for more, and probably being annoying to my CT because I keep asking for more. But, that's what I'm here for... so he can't get too annoyed! :)

I've started this game while I'm at school that I like to call "find the designer brand." It's really quite simple, and I'm really good at it. In one class alone I saw a girl with a Louis Vuitton purse, another girl with Burberry running shoes and a Coach purse, and then another girl in a Juicy Couture sweatshirt! In another class I saw a boy with a Dolce & Gabana t-shirt, and in another class I saw another boy in an Armani polo shirt. Basically, I win at this game. And I really shouldn't be, but I'm rather surprised by how easy the game is. I wonder if it's the same in private schools? Or maybe it's an international school thing. Probably that. The students here seem to be the children of ambassadors/embassy workers and folks who work for multi-national corporations. So, basically, I'm making a huge assumption here and saying that they're all rich. Which makes my game really fun... and easy.

I've gotten in to a routine very quickly. I wake up at 5:45am, get ready, have breakfast, maybe chat with Larly, and then head out the door between 6:45 and 7. My commute takes about 40-50 minutes so I get to school at about 7:45ish. All teachers are required to be there by 8, and then stay til 4. Then I commute back home, take a shower, get in my PJs, make some dinner and talk to Larly on Skype and goof off on the internet. Then it's time for bed, and I do it all over the next day. It'll get busier than that as the weeks go on, and I'm certainly looking forward to that (though not necessarily the lack of sleep... :)

My view when I wake up every morning. Not too bad, now, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment